There’s no mistaking now that micro blogging app Twitter is here to stay, and is an essential social networking tool, not only for musicians but for all business.
How artists can effectively utilize it is another matter, and although that is covered by many great blogs, we wanted to go over some of the most important steps in connecting it with popular social networking sites like Facebook. This allows tweets to also update your facebook status, a great way to keep in touch with people on Facebook even when you don’t have time to login there and accidentally kill an hour or two. This is important because putting yourself and what your doing in front of as many people as possible can help connect you with potential new fans, and when your Facebook status is updated, it appears in your friends news feed, getting you much needed attention.
Although it’s always changing, at the moment,
Here’s how to make sure tweets end up on facebook:
- Add the Twitter application on Facebook, bottom Left of the page, ‘Find More’, search for ‘Twitter’, then click ‘Go To Application’ adding to your profile, allowing it to access your info.
- After logging into Twitter, Click “Allow Twitter to update Facebook Status”, or:
- Go to bottom left applications, then top right> Edit
- Click Edit Settings on the Twitter application
- Make sure under Additional Permissions ‘update status’ is checked
- Have more than one facebook profile, or in a band? Use the most popular, most active one
NOTE: This will not post your @Replies from Twitter, desirably so!
Here’s how to add your contacts to Twitter from your webmail:
-Click ‘Find on other networks’ on Twitter.com:
- Click on your webmail icon on the left and enter login name and password (don’t be paranoid about entering your pass…)
- Select the people you want to follow (people with no icon are often not actually active on Twitter)
- you can also do this if you use other email programs, but it is a bit more work to import contacts.
Here’s how to use your mobile phone to update Twitter remotely:
- Go to settings>Devices after logging into Twitter.com: http://twitter.com/devices
- Enter in your phone number and follow instructions to verify your phone.
- Bookmark the 5 digit number for your country/region into text messaging on your mobile, and send tweets to this number when you want to update.
Now what excuse do you have for not making updates at least twice a day? Mmmm, Technology!
Here’s how to add your contacts to Facebook from your webmail:
- Go to top middle Friends link and select ‘Find Friends’
- enter your full email address and password (don’t be paranoid about entering your pass…)
- click Find Friends and choose the ones you want to connect with on Facebook.
- Do this for ALL facebook accounts you or band members have!
- Make sure to import all your webmail accounts if you or your band members have more than one!
We recommend doing this every month or so as new people you may know are constantly joining these networks!
Use Twitter incorrectly and you can cause more harm that good to your music career. Get assistance from Pro Soul to avoid embarrasing mistakes and to maximize the neworking potential of these resources!
TIP: If you really want to do twitter properly, use the computer application Tweetdeck, and create a group with all the people you don’t want to miss updates from. This is especially essential when you start getting a few hundred or more followers
Next: How to automatically post your blog feeds to Facebook and other social neworking sites